Chronometer

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

RECENTLY I WENT GROCERY SHOPPING at Ultra Foods on the south side and decided to snap the shot below of this sign by an unused cash register. It's letting residents know that if you want to use a bag the store will charge a "bag tax" of 7 cents on each paper/plastic used. The idea is to encourage more people to bring their own reusable bags.

I see this as an example of a well-intended idea but bad execution. You're taxing people to get these reusable bags that often cost more than a simple 7 cent bag. The reusable bags I have at home mostly cost about $1. Though at least for my part I did this voluntarily.

At first Chicago just simply banned disposable plastic bags but repealed that ordinance in favor of this one which came into effect this month. Let's see how long this lasts.